Information on the procedure and manner of waste collection from sea ships at the Port of Gdańsk
- Waste is collected from sea ships at the Port of Gdańsk in accordance with the Act of 12 September 2002 on port facilities for collecting waste and cargo residues and the principles set out in Port management plan for waste and cargo residues from ships at the Port of Gdańsk.
- The procedure and manner of waste collection apply to all sea ships using the quays located within the port, with the exception of vessels of the Navy, the Border Guard and the Police, ships on special state duty and ships exempt from the obligation to hand over waste each time under a decision of the Director of the Maritime Office
- Waste is collected only using a specified procedure and method
- Waste is collected from ships by companies listed on the website of the Port of Gdańsk Authority
- Waste is collected from ships under sanitary quarantine in accordance with the recommendations of the State Border Sanitary Inspector
- Supervision over compliance with the waste collection rules at the Port of Gdańsk is exercised by the Environmental Protection and Land Maintenance Team of PGA SA.
PGA SA states that pursuant to Art. 37(8) of the Act of 16 March 1995 on the prevention of sea pollution by ships (Journal of Laws of 2015, item 243) if the captain or another member of the ship’s crew does not comply with their duties, violates the regulations on the handover of waste to the port collection facilities and does not inform the port about the waste or cargo residues on the ship – he/she is subject to a fine of up to PLN 70,000, imposed by the Director of the Maritime Office in Gdynia.
- Before a ship enters the Port of Gdańsk, the ship’s captain or agent acting on his behalf provides information on the waste or sewage to be handed over to the port collection facilities using the Polish Harbours Information and Control System (PHICS).
- The ship’s captain or agent is responsible for the accuracy of the data entered into the PHICS form regarding the type, quantity and composition of waste on the ship.
- at least 24 hours before the ship enters the port
- immediately after the ship’s captain receives the information specifying the port of destination, if it is not available at least 24 hours before arriving at the port
- at the latest when departing from the previous port, if the journey time to the port of destination is less than 24 hours.
- Captain or agent of a ship not calling at the port – to hand over the waste to the port collection facilities, the captain/agent notifies the Port Dispatcher about the waste or sewage to be handed over on FORM 1 filled in online (click to go to the online system) or filled in and sent by e-mail or by fax:*
* the procedure should also be applied in the event of a PHICS system failure
A diagram of transferring information on the collection of waste from ships
The ship bears all the consequences of not meeting the above deadlines or resigning from the waste collection service after entering the port.
If the captain, agent or other member of the ship’s crew violates the regulations on the handover of waste to port collection facilities and fails to inform the port about the waste or cargo residues on the ship – fails to provide the information within the required time through the PHICS, they may be subject to administrative financial penalties imposed by the Director of the Maritime Office in Gdynia [Journal of Laws 2012.1244 Act of 16 March 1995 on the prevention of sea pollution by ships].
The following are exempt from the obligation to provide information on waste on ship before entering the Port of Gdańsk:
- fishing vessels,
- sports vessels certified to carry less than 12 people.
The exact date of waste collection from the ship is agreed by the “Collector” with the ship’s captain or agent.
The ship or its agent receives a mutually confirmed waste or sewage transfer card, issued by the “Collector”, which contains information on the type and quantity of waste or sewage collected and the collection date.
ZMPG S.A. has 5 permanent sewage collection points at the Obrońców Westerplatte Quay with the capacity of 40 m3/h.
The collection of sewage from ships is mainly from passenger ships which stop (moor) at the Obrońców Westerplatte Quay.
Information on formalities related to the collection of waste and cargo residues from ships
All entities participating in the waste collection procedure (ship captains, agents, waste collectors and other interested parties) can obtain information as well as make comments or report irregularities regarding port collection facilities to the relevant services of PGA SA.
General matters related to waste management and environmental protection:
Agnieszka Roszkowska – Environmental Protection Specialist
Environmental Protection and Land Maintenance Team
Phone: (+48) 58 737 93 12
Coordination of submitted forms
The team of the Chief Port Dispatcher
Phone: (+48) 58 737 64 83/84
Procedures for reporting alleged irregularities related to the operation of port collection facilities
If the captain of a ship calling at the Port of Gdańsk finds that the port collection facilities are not working properly or the Port of Gdańsk Authority SA fails to inform about this fact, the captain has the right to report the irregularities to the Director of the Maritime Office in Gdynia – using FORM 4 (Revised, standardised reporting format for reporting alleged faults in port collection facilities) available on the website of Port of Gdańsk Authority SA or directly on the website of the Maritime Office in Gdynia.
Information on insufficient capacity of collection facilities
If it is impossible to accept certain types and quantities of waste from the ship to the port collection facilities, the ship’s captain or agent will receive information from the Port Dispatcher immediately after notification of the intention to hand over the waste. The notification will indicate the nearest port or marina ready to receive waste and cargo residues from the ship.
List of waste recipients
At the Port of Gdansk, the following companies are authorized to carry out reception of the respective types of waste:
Waste oils and their mixtures, Exhaust cleaning residues:
|Responsibility of:||Andrzej Czerwicki|
|Phone:||(+48) 58 511 90 90|
|Mobile:||(+48) 506 08 35 98|
|SUEZ POLNOC Sp. z o.o.|
|Responsibility of:||Agnieszka Marchlewska|
|Phone:||(+48) 309 02 37|
|Mobile:||(+48) 515 224 673|
|SAUR Neptun Gdańsk S.A.|
|Responsibility of:||Wiesław Leoniak|
|Mobile:||(+48) 606 800 183|
The exact time of vessel-generated waste reception shall be agreed by the “Recipient” with the captain of the ship or his Agent.
Revised consolidated format for reporting alleged inadequacies of port reception facilities [document PDF, 280.76 Kb, Adobe Reader]
Revised consolidated format for reporting alleged inadequacies of port reception facilities [document DOC, 67.00 Kb]
Rate our website